Sunday, June 05, 2005

Some books

Read Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness, which is so very anthropological a science fiction book, and a rich and subtle and sensitive (I wish I didn't think in reviewers' adjectives) and entirely complete invention. But I couldn't quite manage to think of her androgynes as androgynes - they all seemed to be men with occasionally feminine characteristics - though whether that's a fault in her language, or the English language as such (where are the feminists?) or me, I'm not sure.

Also read Diana Wynn Jones' The Dark Lord of Derkholm and The Year of the Griffin. She takes an interesting premise to its logical and unexpected conclusion, and it always works. And is funny.

Re-read Anne Carson's The Autobiography of Red like a long drink.

Dipped into William Matthews' selected poems, which I found serendipitously in Harvard. I love finding books I've forgotten I'm looking for. Perhaps I'll find something and put it up here, though his poems aren't so good in isolation from each other.

And am starting on Calasso's The Ruin of Kasch. Perhaps one day we could make a pilgrimage to Calasso and sit at his feet?