Monday, January 24, 2005

A sensible type

At lunch today we were talking of such weighty matters as marriages and relationships and gossip.

Colleague: ...yes of course opposites attract. Like my husband is much quieter and more sensible than I am.

Me: Doesn't it depend on who you're with? With sensible people you can be frivolous and silly, but some people you just have to be sensible because otherwise they'll fall down drunk in a gutter somewhere and kill themselves.

[Oh do shut up. That was not meant to be self-referential. To resume - ]

She: Yes! Deep down I'm really sensible, but I don't have to be cause my husband is more sensible. He calls me a kid, which I am. (She looks at me for a while.) I think you'll get the sensible type.

Times like that I wonder exactly what people think of me and suspect it's not flattering in the least.