Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Baybeats

Saturday evening me and my sister went down to Baybeats and it was gratifyingly good. Do you remember Force Vomit? Not quite punk rock but funny and wry (and I admit it, I do like catchy tunes). And there was Humpback Oak, now the Observatory; missed part of their performance, which I regret, 'cause what I heard was excellent. And an energetic Hong Kong band called Whence He Came, which endears me to them. And oh there was a really lian band from Thailand, singing Cyndi Lauper - the singing wasn't too bad, in point of fact, but I hated them on first sight. And a bunch of somewhat boring bands from here and around the region. All in all a good night, though - perhaps I should find out what's happening in Singapore before my next bitching binge.
 
Sunday night I met an old friend for dinner and we were talking about Baybeats. He: Yeah at first it sounded quite good, but then I thought, rock music, well, it's time to grow up, isn't it? - Perhaps. But I'll keep my jeans and t-shirts and loud music for a while longer, thanks. Baybeats next year, anyone?