Thursday, October 03, 2002

Past 3 in the morning. I am incredibly glad to be in New York and I can feel all the threads of this year unravelling out of control. In a bad way I mean. Is that strange?

But a quick recap. And less inanity post-bath, with any luck.

(One) Public interview by Edward Said and Daniel Barenboim yesterday evening. Most of the musical discussion was over my head but I remember a phrase of Barenboim's: the unrepeatability of music. The unrepeatability of the musical moment, I guess.

(Two) The White Sheikh, dir. Fellini. I forget the Italian title. Didn't know what to expect when I got there -- and had a very pleasant surprise. Amazingly funny comedy. Beautifully, confidently shot. The guy giving the preface said that it could have been inspiration for the Purple Rose of Cairo and yeah I can see how that worked.

(Three) Muddling through Susan Sontag's In America. Muddling through is not quite the right word perhaps; it is a compelling book but I'm getting too sleepy to pay attention.

(Four) Diana Krall, I Miss You So.