Monday, April 22, 2002

so I wander into the kitchen to get yoghurt and my housemates tell me the Green Party people just came a-calling because voting day is in a week's time. I say I know cos the poll cards are in the lodge and that I'm going to vote here before I vote in Singapore. They say vote sensibly! don't have any wacky ideas and stick us without someone weird just cos you're not going to be here next year! Emma says well in local elections it's the people more than the parties that count. Then she says she voted Lib Dem in the general election even though she's against everything they're for because she thought the guy (Evan Harris? what I don't know about British politics would fill my finals scripts) was the best one running. Dave says yes but he won't vote for them again the next time because they're against tuition fees and if he paid them he wants them (fees, not the Lib Dems) to stay. They start talking about British politicians and having not anything to contribute and being naturally unsociable, I retreat to my computer. I can't compare British elections with Singaporean ones because I know nothing about the latter (or the former, but ignorance there is less culpable I think?). Not that it would have mattered anyway because the overseas voting thing wasn't up in time for the last election. I heard the election results over BBC, where an astonished DJ said the PAP just won all but 2 seats in Singapore's general election. The news updates are three minutes each time and they normally do at least a minute of local news as well, so they don't tell you every country's general election results, just the noteworthy ones. It's kinda weird. At the end of the IR in the Cold War tutorial on China, my tutor said, quite seriously, what do you think about the Communist Party in China? Singapore's a one-party state too, isn't it? It's kinda shaming, somehow.